Skip to main content

Can I house a young person?

We are looking for all sorts of people to provide supported lodgings for young people. There is no upper age limit, it doesn't matter what job you have, or what kind of home you live in. If you have space for a young person and the ability to provide a caring environment, you will be great at supporting a young lodger.

You can be:

  • one person, a couple, a family or in a partnership
  • working or unemployed
  • any ethnicity, race or culture

We are looking for people who are willing to provide some level of care and support to their young person. You should be able to:

  • promote emotional and physical health
  • give advice and guidance
  • set appropriate boundaries within the home
  • listen and communicate openly

Your home

Your home can be large or small, old or new, rented or owned. You should be able to offer a bedroom for the young person to use, as well as access to a bathroom and a kitchen where they can store and cook their own food.

Your home environment should be safe from harm and abuse. You might be able to help your young lodger develop strategies to stay safe and understand how to seek help if they are in trouble.

We recommend that you check that you can provide supported lodgings with your landlord, mortgage lenders or housing association.

If you are a council or registered housing association tenant, you can probably house a young person without any problem. Check with your housing provider first. If you are a private tenant, check the terms of your tenancy. If unsure, ask your housing provider or the Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

If you have a mortgage, check with your lender to see if you need permission to house a lodger. Make it clear you will be living there and sharing your home with a young person rather than offering them a tenancy.

If you own your home, you will be able to provide supported lodgings. If you own leasehold, check the terms of the lease in case you need permission.

Your employment

If you have a job you can offer supported lodgings as you do not have to be at home all the time.

If you don't have a job and you are on benefits, you should discuss your intentions with your benefits office. This includes if you are receiving job seekers' allowance, income support, housing benefits, council tax benefits or family credit. In many cases, you will still be able to provide supported lodgings.

You will need to inform your insurance company in writing that you intend to provide supported lodgings for a young person. You will not need to pay additional council tax if your young person is under 18 and you claim lone occupancy. If they are over the age of 18, you will need to pay the full council tax rate.

Your role

When you provide supported lodgings for a young person, you take on some responsibility to care for your young person and work with our team in their best interest.

You will play an important part in developing the young person's pathway plan, which outlines how they will transfer to independent living. We'll ask you to liaise with the young person's social worker and other agencies to let us know how the young person is getting on. We'll also ask you to comply with our social care policies and guidelines, which we'll provide during your application process. You may also need to support the young person to communicate with their family and social workers.

We encourage you to keep expanding your knowledge as a supported lodgings carer after you have been approved and we offer regular training opportunities to help you develop skills.

Find out more about how to provide supported lodgings for a young person.

Get in touch

or call 0800 801 530 or 03330 139 954